Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The water got higher than we thought

It's beautiful outside again. If you were to walk outside my house now, you would probably never guess what the weather was earlier. That is until you walk down the driveway, turn around and look at my husband's car.

We're out of dog food. The dogs are hungry. Ergo, my husband needs to get in the big truck and go to the Katy Feed Store and get dog food. I really don't relish being on the hungry end of a 180 lb. Great Dane. I don't care how cute he is.

He goes out the garage door and then I hear him start up the truck. It's a diesel, so it's not hard to hear it. Then the phone rings.

"Come outside."

OK. What did I do now? I walk down the driveway out to the middle of the cul-de-sac where he is parked, idling.

"Look at my car."

This is what I see (highlighted because it's hard to see on an iPhone photo):


Wow. Apparently, the water got pretty high whilst we slept. It also appears that we got pretty lucky. The water crested a millimeter beneath his door. Any higher and poor Bettie (His car. His baby.) would have had water damage inside. Any higher than that, we could have lost poor Bacon, our resident garden gnome and Florida Gator fan (you can just spot him in front of the tree behind the cars). I got the keys, took the picture and got inside. Nope. No water damage. Whew! She started up with no sputtering or anything. She did, however, blow a load of gunk and debris out of her tail pipes. Bettie is now up the driveway on the other side of my car. She was only behind my car overnight because we had the truck in her spot.

To get a better idea of just how high the water came up last night, here's a picture of our neighbor's yard:


After looking at this picture, I'm pretty glad the truck was in Bettie's spot. That would have been disastrous!

For you locals, here's Clay Rd past Fry, sign stating the obvious:


I don't recommend going down Clay for a while. Even in a big-ass truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment